Friday, March 13, 2015

Post 8: H&M Look Book

She looked at the book & got hooked!


Look books are used as a creative form of promotion for a brand! There job is to show off the fit and feel of a product through the use of models. It is important to stay consistent with the brand image, and keep the target customer in mind. They should be appealing, yet simple enough that the proportions of the garment are evident. Fit is an important factor from a customer standpoint, and it is crucial to present a visual aid showing how products will fit.


According to the H&M website, H&M Studio Spring/Summer 2015 is meant to give a feeling of lazy days and long nights in Miami and Palm Springs. A sun-kissed collection with a laid back yet luxurious silhouette and fresh swimwear influences. 






Ann-Sofie Johansson, head of H&M's new design department, says, "I love how H&M Studio for Spring/Summer 2015 is both glamorous and effortless. It's about fun in the sun, then partying into the night." The look book below serves as a visual representation of this sun-kissed collection that Ann-Sofie Johansson speaks of. 






Look books also act as a visual record of trend direction. When looking back at the H&M Spring/Summer 2014 look book it is clear that the collection was intended to exude more of an edgy look, in comparison to the fun, sophisticated look shown above for Spring/Summer 2015. Below is the H&M Spring/Summer 2014 look book. 



3 comments:

  1. Hi Melissa!
    I am actually surprised how beautiful both of these H&M videos are. I agree with you when you said it is important for the look books to stay consistent with the brand image. Due to the large assortment and complex store layouts I can imagine that it is hard for the retailer to present their clothes in a visually appealing way in each and every store. This video shows off the pieces perfectly and the outfits that are styled for the video are tasteful. In my opinion, this video is a great advertisement for the brand because it is attractive. Most of their stores that I’ve encountered, on the other hand, do not portray the same story as these videos, which I think is something that the store needs to work on. Cheers to H&M for having an awesome video look book! Now it is time for them to make their stores look like their look books.
    Great post Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melissa!
    This lookbook is absolutely gorgeous! I love seeing lookbooks from fast fashion retailers because I find them to be so fresh! They're great for inspiration and they're clothes that I can actually afford. I also love how they accompany the lookbook with the behind-the-scenes type video. It makes it seem more realistic and personable. I really enjoyed this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Great post! I agree with the first comment... I didn't know h&m could make such beautiful videos. Also the style is on point unlike in the store. haha. The videos shed a new light on H&M and brought a better image for me. I guess that's what they intend to do.

    ReplyDelete