Monday, February 16, 2015

Post 4: Fashion Reporter's Language

Cool Girls Keep it Comfortable

By: Alexandra Jacobs Feb. 15, 2015 




When walking home one evening, I noticed the words of Theodore Roosevelt on the side of a building, "It is not the critic who counts. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena." 


This quote resonates through my mind as I process the recent unbelievable New York Fashion Week runway shows. I give an abundance of credit where it is due, and I enjoy seeing if my opinion is inline with others. Below is the link to a runway review by Alexandra Jacobs. After reading this article, I choose specific vocabulary she used that was important to the fashion industry. 



1.    SILHOUETTE & DESIGN
  • smooth wide-legged pants
  • exaggerated cuffs, flowing over the fingertips
  • carwash hems and slits
  • 1970s ribbed turtlenecks and Fair Isle sweaters
  • diamond-gingham skirt
  • bell sleeves
  • long tunics 
A Misha Nonoo, a white oxford-cloth
shirt without a placket.
Slaven Vlasic/Getty Images.

2.    DETAILS
  •     large abstract blooms
  •     elaborately knotted
  •     forgiving waistbands
  •     pleated panels
  •     yarn-bombed
  •     sleeveless windowpane-plaid
Yarn trimmed a series of bold blue tartan
separates at Creatures of the Wind.
Stephanie Colgan for The New York Times.

3.    COLOR
  •      black
  •      violet 
  •      bold blue
  •      metallic 
  •      white 

At Rachel Comey, a denim jacket
was lined comfortably in shearling.
Elizabeth Lippman for The New York Times.
4.    FABRIC                                                                                                 
  •     white oxford-cloth shirt 
  •     fur
  •     chiffon 
  •     shearling 
At Suno, ribbed turtlenecks and Fair Isle sweaters.
Nowfashion.
5. CREATIVE “JARGON” 
(the language, especially the vocabulary peculiar to a particular trade, profession, or group: fashion jargon.)      
  •      Marimekko prints shot with poison
  •      Cut up to "yikes" territory
  •      Open-crown 
  •      Tartan separates 
  •      "A burst of informal modeling" (said Simon Doonan of Barneys)

















3 comments:

  1. Great post! I'm always a vintage fan, in this case the Shearling fabric is right up on my alley. I like how the 70s fashion finally back on trend! Especially with the "puffy" look—the wide-legged pants and the turtlenecks, with the A-line skirts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a great layout for your blog post! I love how you even took it to a more personal level and used some of your own pictures! Out of the pictures you posted, the Misha Nonoo definitely caught my eye the most because I love the classy look and felt it wasn't too over the top!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa- fabulous post! The way your write is very inspiring I love your usage of the quote here, what an innovative approach to the assignment! I also enjoyed your article choice and enjoyed reading it! Jacobs writes a lot of really relevant articles in terms of fashion and its complicated terminology. Here is a link to another article written by her you may enjoy: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/12/fashion/a-new-generation-of-designers-chooses-anonymity.html

    ReplyDelete