Sunday, February 22, 2015

Post 5: Visual Merchandising as a source for Color Trends



When asked to use visual merchandising as a tool for finding color trends, Anthropologie was the first store that came to mind! Instantly, I ventured to Chelsea Market. 



Captured above was the window at the main entrance of the store. The backdrop displayed the primary colors, red, blue, and yellow, in which the store revolved its colors around. Each hue was then expanded to different tints and shades.  


Above, two of the three primary hues were displayed in a monochromatic manner.



Different yarns were found around the store further emphasizing their specific color choices for this season. Here, secondary colors, such as green and purple were incorporated. 



Above shows a behind the scenes look at the window displayed from inside the store. The store was organized around the displays. The top left shows how pink pants were strategically located next to the pink window display. Even the book that I purchased is consistent with the colors seen through out Anthropologie!


On the walk back to the dorms, The Gap's window displays caught my eye! It was interesting to note that although they are completely different from Anthropologie's windows, both showcased denim. 


According to Doneger Creative Services, denim is a key color trend this season. 


The Gap made denim the focal point of their window displays, and Anthropologie incorporated it into every window in a subtle way. No matter the tactic, the trend was received. 

Here are links to both stores websites
http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/index.jsp
http://www.gap.com/




Definitions:
*Monochromatic: the use of one color in various values and intensities
*Tint: makes the colors value lighter by adding white
*Shade: makes the colors value darker by adding black

5 comments:

  1. Melissa!
    Your posts are always great! I can tell you put in a lot of time and effort.
    Anthropologie is a fantastic choice for color trend research! I should have thought of the brand to use for myself. Their window displays are always gorgeous and well put together. I like the way that they group their colors and arrange the outfits accordingly. Nice use of color terms in your blog post as well. Have you ever seen Anthropologie’s blog?? Here is the link to check it out! http://blog.anthropologie.com/?cm_sp=FOOTER-_-Main-_-Blog
    It is as carefully coordinated as their window exhibits! Enjoy!
    -Corrianne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your post and how you were able to include more than one store! I never have been to an Anthropologie but have always wanted to check one out due to all the positive feedback I hear about it from friends! I love the way their display windows look! I can tell they try to make themselves known by having their displays be very out of the ordinary! I'm definitely going to have to see this store now! Love the layout of your blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Melissa!

    I really enjoyed your post. I think it's so interesting that Anthropologie is focusing on primary colors right now, considering everybody else is doing neutrals out the whazoo!! It's refreshing to see such clean, bold colors. And I agree with you on denim -- it's huge right now! Of course a nice fitted pair of jeans never goes out of style, but denim is so popular that nearly everything is made out of it! Rebirth of the Canadian Jumpsuit!

    Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa- I am so happy you chose Anthropologie as your one of your store inspirations! As soon as I read this assignment, I too thought of Anthro as they always have wonderful window displays. I had a friend intern with the company in a visual display/merchandising position and he had nothing but positive things to say about the company. He talked endlessly about their creativity and the wild mindset needed for the inventiveness behind their displays!

    I think you'd enjoy this link, its captivates some of the best window displays the retailer has done: http://thebwd.com/brands/anthropologie/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the display for Anthropology it is so innovative and creative. I like that it makes you think in depth about colors and fashion. This is a display that would catch anyone eye!

    ReplyDelete